View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Inspiring me Alan.. i have to take my last ASE test on wiring would you like to take it for me??
at me taking an electrical test. Back 20 something years ago I knew a little more about electricity when I was getting my airframe and powerplant license. I've slept a lot since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Your going to make me go pull my gages out arn't you. I hope it snows like hell in GA.
Yep...........but your making a lot of progress on yours. I'm sitting here dreaming. I'm tired of the ice. The snow was fun. I'm ready for spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy View Post
Another picture....?

In some cases when you try to shut the vehicle off, power from the alternator can feed up to the coil and keep the engine running. To cure this you can install a diode in the ignition wire that activates the #1 terminal. This will stop the power from feeding back up the ignition line. These are buck or two at Radio Shack, just be sure to put the stripe end toward the alternator to stop any flow.

Danny aka: Sparky
Question about statement in blue above. The brown wire goes straight from #1 on alt to ign switch. The feed to the dizzy comes straight from ign. switch. Can the power back feed go thru the ign switch? (Idon't see how) I posted a pic of the american wire kit below that shows the optional diode. Should I go ahead and utilize it? What kind of diode do I ask for at Radio Shack? --Edit-- Never mind about what I need to ask for at Radio Shack. I see it in your pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy View Post
Alan,
I've got a 'BRAND NEW STILL IN THE BOX' American Auto-Wire waiting for me to get off my deadbutt and install it. Are you go'na shame me into being productive....?

Sure you can TEE off the brown wire....

If the BROWN WIRE feeds to the coil, then I would put the aforementioned diode between the TEE and the GREEN LIGHT. This will keep backflow from feeding the coil. But, if ya put the diode between the alternator and the Green Light, (and the diode is working properly), the GREEN LIGHT might not go out as it should not receive any positive power from that direction...! At least in theory.....

Danny
That's exactly what I'm trying to do........motivate. Do you have your American wire schematic handy? The top brown wire on the ign switch doesn't feed the coil as far as I can tell. As you can probably tell the placement (if needed) of the diode is confussing to me. I understand it lets power flow in one direction. That's about it. Thanks for your time with this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 01-12-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote