View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
PurdueSD

Lost and Forgotten 51

I bought this truck when i was 13. It was going to be my first car....hah! I abandoned it about 2 years later when i found my 54 which is in much better shape. Well i am 29 now with a 3 month old so, lets try this again!

Ive had the itch lately start turning this one into a crusty driver since the 54 is a much more involved build that i haven't touched for years. So i dug this out of my dads barn today after its 16 year hibernation.

I still trying to nail down a direction for this project. So far this is what i have come up with...

- Paint- The truck has an awesome natural patina. So despite some rust here and there, I want to leave the paint as is and actually enjoy part of the hot rod hobby i have never gotten too... driving a hot rod! I know, sad isn't it. It will start with a patch panel here, patch panel there and hopefully not turn into too much disassembly at once. (My 54 already has that covered!)

-The bed is a basket case. It flops all over the place. No rear valence, side angles shot, the only thing holding it halfway together is some 2x4s and lag bolts. Didn't have a tailgate and the front bed panel is bowed a good 5 inches from abuse.

-Trim- repop chrome and cream grille and some bumpers. The rest stays as is.

-Wheels/Tires - Thinking Black oe style wheels with spider caps or hubcaps with some Wide whites

-Suspension- Dropped front axle with a couple leafs removed. Blocks- rear.

-Drivetrain- hopefully revive and rock the 1954 full pressure 235. My dad and I got it free and swapped it in running 15 years ago. If the 235 is strong i would someday like to throw a t-5 and camaro 10 bolt in. The point here is not tear apart to much and actually be able to drive the thing.

What do you guys think? Ideas? Input?

I have been at the truck now for a couple weeks so ill post up a couple updates here real soon and then it will slow down a bit.

Here's what she looks like coming out of hibernation....

Last edited by PurdueSD; 01-26-2011 at 12:56 AM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote