Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #378
Hotchkis

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
Looks like this could be a good time to ask something that I have been scratching my head over. On the Hotchkis site, they show that their spring rates for 67-72 trucks are 1100/380 lbs/in! Those rates sound extremely high to me, I can't afford to drive down the road and knock the fillings out of my teeth. What do you think of these rates Rob? I gather you like the soft spring/ big bar approach. Hotchkis is using a 1 1/4" front bar with those springs in the TVS kit. The other question is about them using a 4" drop spring and no dropped spindle. I don't see that as being an ideal set up. Thanks for all your input Rob!
Hey Brett,
Those spring rates would be extremely high if we used them on an early Camaro.

A 69 Camaro would take about a 650 to 700 lbs spring depending on the engine size and application. The difference would be that the Camaro and the 67-72 Chevy trucks have different control arm length, spring position, and weight, which change the amount of leverage needed to compress the spring. These differences necessitate different spring rates.
By watching the PCH Rods truck on the track, it definitely doesn’t have too much spring rate. Rob really has the truck dialed in with our TVS suspension system for the ’67 through ’72 Chevy Trucks. On the autocross, Rob's truck beat many well-setup cars at the 2010 OUSCI event (shown). He even beat Steven Rupp's '68 Camaro from Camaro Performers Magazine (event Champion from 2008)!

If you were up for a road trip from Colorado, you could come to our big open house. Hotchkis is having a C-10 Show and Open House event on February 12. You could see our facility and see how we continue making high-quality products that perform. You could see us in progress of rebuilding the Hotchkis C-10 project truck in person.

http://www.hotchkis.net/press_release.html?ID=54

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote