Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #380
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

As the discussion continues, there have been a few questions about Roll Center vs. Center of Gravity. If you were to built a truck from scratch, and your goal was to get these in check, your truck would look alot like a Lotus. So, bad to the business of Trucks. I've had a few chats with Nate Porter lately, and I can tell you that he is on the right track with his new performanced based Dropmember. This concept is simple. The raise crossmember drops the truck, and thus the C.G. without negatively effecting R.C. Although drop spindles are better than drop springs (for that 2 1/2" of drop) they still drop the R.C. some. Appx 1/2 the drop of the spindle, so about 1 1/4". If the Dropmember, or raising the stock crossmember, or Z'ing the frame, drops you 3" without any loss in R.C. hieght, then with drop spindles you would have a 5 1/2" drop for the truck, and C.G., with only a 1 1/4" drop in R.C. This combo would get you a net 4 1/4" gain from R.C. to C.G. This is all with a stock spring. Food for thought. If you are in the area, I suggest a trip to the Hotchkis open house on feb 12. The TVS aproach is a simple bolt-on uprade, and it is worth a good look to see how they sorted out the steering geometry.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote