Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 AM   #381
52 choptop

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
The single wall construction of the Bilstein shocks gives it the advantage of having a much larger piston, with much more efficient valving with much less fade. I have broken a set of Bilsteins bottoming out my truck when I hit a huge dip and they replaced them no questions asked. If you find a custom dealer then they can order you a set that is valved for your application. I also would not have any other shock on my truck.
Mike and Rob, thanks much for your input (I recieved the post today!) When I built the truck I had "fast & in a straight line" in mind. I put the Bilsteins on the front last weekend (like I said, I recieved your posts today) and now the rearend is like a rollercoaster with nasty body roll. The rear is tubbed with 15x18.5x31.5's. My buddy set up the leafs with the shocks at about a 40 degree angle to the center of the truck. He said this was for handling, but in hindsight, it seems that the shocks have no dampening value at this angle. Would you suggest leaving them in place and adding a second set in the vertical? Or relocating them to the vertical? Or selling my house, filling the bed with cash, parking it in Rob's driveway and picking it up when the cash runs out? I really appreciate your knowledge and help. Thanks, Eric
52 choptop is offline   Reply With Quote