Thread: budget swap?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: budget swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
Well it makes it easier for us guys who haven`t ventured into the late model stuff before. I guess that pretty much covers it except the actual install itself but shouldn`t be too dificult. The fuel system and electrical is whats going to take me some time.

With this project I`m not nessicarily looking for performance but a reliable drivetrain that has more power than my smogged out 305 and gets decent economy. I figure I should be able to get close to 20mpg with either set up. I seem to find more 5.3`s for sale than 4.8`s anyway so I`ll probably go that route. As for the tranny, they usually come with some sort of a 30 day warranty from the yards but my friend is a GM tech with 30yrs of building transmissions so I could have him freshen it up pretty cheap.

I understand where you coming from
I am a computer tech, so if I can doit....ANYONE can!

I will agree with BR3W, if your going 4.8, then a few hundred more for a 5.3 just makes sense. I got my eng/trans combo with 9K miles for under $1200, you just cant find them that cheap anymore.
This was my exact reason for jumping onto the LS bandwagon. IF I did the crate motor and or a rebuild, I would be at least into it $3500, so this was a fun/frustrating attempt for me.
Just 1 word of advice, get the performance tune and the custom harness, it is very much so worth the headache of doing it yourself. Having the stock converted is not going to be as visually pleasing as the custom, just doing the VATS removal and rear O2's is about all that the cheap tuners do, if your in a pinch, go ahead, but when $ allows, go performance tune. I know, I just did it, love it!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 02-22-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote