Thread: budget swap?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
68c10owner

Re: budget swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
I understand where you coming from
I am a computer tech, so if I can doit....ANYONE can!

I will agree with BR3W, if your going 4.8, then a few hundred more for a 5.3 just makes sense. I got my eng/trans combo with 9K miles for under $1200, you just cant find them that cheap anymore.
This was my exact reason for jumping onto the LS bandwagon. IF I did the crate motor and or a rebuild, I would be at least into it $3500, so this was a fun/frustrating attempt for me.
Just 1 word of advice, get the performance tune and the custom harness, it is very much so worth the headache of doing it yourself. Having the stock converted is not going to be as visually pleasing as the custom, just doing the VATS removal and rear O2's is about all that the cheap tuners do, if your in a pinch, go ahead, but when $ allows, go performance tune. I know, I just did it, love it!
I`m not too worreid about the harness since I`m not the one thats going to be doing it, lol. I just need to keep it within the smog laws for cali so if a performance tune smogs ok then I`m ok with it otherwise a stock tune will do as well. I say 4.8 or 5.3 because either one will serve the purpose. I just don`t want or need the 6.0 with the 4L80E. Just a simple install for me. I`d even consider a Vorted 5.0 or 5.7 engine. I had the 5.0 in a old ex-cab and it actually ran better than any other 350 I had at the time.