Thread: NP203 question
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: NP203 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Guess that 85K I put on mine over 15 years was waste of a good rebuild! Checked out the inside and its still good to go so it went back in. I've got a Doug Nash shaft kit that makes it a true in-out box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That is just not so....Converted NP203s can and will last for many years. I have personally installed many dozens of these kits and never had a failure.
Having experince with them you all probably know better than I do. My information is based off an article I read in four wheeler a few years back, the article stated that when setting up the 203 as a part time that the inner differential was prone to grenading because for what ever reason it did not like having the front shaft not spinning.

Or now that I think about it perhaps it was the reason you should not run locking hubs with out the adapter kit.

I cant remember.

I have had 3 of them, they all 3 came behind TH350's and when the TH350 grenaded, I yanked em and installed a SM465/NP205. Anyone who likes to play off road knows that it doesnt take much to roasty toasty a TH350.

Much of my bias comes from my bad experinces with chain driven transfer cases. I could build a road block with all the NP208's I have grenaded.

And such is why I am a fan of the 203/205 doubler, its all gear driven, no chain to mess with, and its a pretty stout setup.