View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
LDO

57 Build: Beverly

Picked up this Arizona beauty a few weeks ago so I figured I'd start a project thread.

1957 Chevy 3100. An original V8 truck. There was some restoration work done about 8 years ago. 283 motor and previous owner installed a TH350. body looks really good and I haven't found any rust that would be a concern.

Truck is in awesome shape and I could prolly just drive & enjoy her as she sits; but what's the fun in that???? LOL

Some things are sort of 'not the way I woulda dun it' type things but that's getting fixed soon enough.

Wife named her Beverly (Blue) and I guess it has stuck. Besides, I'm having too much fun to argue!

First thing I did was order a shop manual, read tons of posts here & asked lots of questions! Then it's off to the garage to get acquainted!

Here are my plans:
Keep the 283 but would like a 5 speed (just because).
3-4" drop axle from Sid with all the steering 'stuff' to keep me straight.
Convert to 5x4.75 lug pattern front wheel disk conversion.
AC (at some point)
Fuel tank under bed - already has one but it's a Jaz products with a nasty looking 'cage'. (not the way i woulda dun it).
NEW WHEELS!

Here's what's in work:
Weather proofing truck!
Needs lots of weatherstip, felts and rubber parts.
Radiator replacement.
Oil pan replacement.
Tranny pan replacement (with drain plug).
Bumper replacement.
Lots of cleaning, lots of painting.

Here's what's next:
Electrical needs to be looked at. Everything works as advertised but there is a painless harness installed and some stuff just doesn't look like enough attention to detail was paid so...

Here's what's got me still scratching my head:
Keep stock rear end and have axles filled & re-drilled for lug pattern? I would still need a disk brake kit and gearing change. Then install 3" lowering leaf springs.

OR

Go with new (to me) rear end. Say, out of S10 or something that will give me disks & ebrake in the rear and a good gear ratio then install 3" lowering springs... will have to sleep & study that one a little more.

**If anyone can give me info on my stock rear end and if there are axles out there that would work, I'd appreciate the info!
** Seen some under bed fuel tanks that say they drop right in and bolt up. Really?? I find that hard to believe but if anyone has used one, please chime in with your thoughts.

I've been working on her almost every day and on the weekends but I will post pictures of what I've been up to when I get home today.

Here she is at the Fl welcome center where I picked her up from the transport company.

Here she is in my driveway same day.

LDO

Last edited by LDO; 05-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote