View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 08:48 PM   #46
GasHog396

When installing the ECM/PCM, you will have to deal with the VATS system if the car originally had it. Painless sells an entire engine wiring harness that will bypassed the VATS for $$$, or you can have the PCM re-programed. Try here . He specializes in F-Body PCM re-programming, but he may be able to help out on the truck conversion and his prices are extremely reasonable. At a minimum, the shift points for the trans in the PCM will have to be modified. For tech stuff check out these sites here and here. Again, these sites are intended for the F-Body owner, but it will give you a good idea of where stuff is and how to fix the common problems. Okay, now for the known problems with these engines. 1) Intake oil leak. Look here for the details . Do yourself a favor and take care of this before the engine is put into the truck. I have just been living with the leak in my 97 T/A as it's not too bad, and it is impossible to get to stuff on that car. 2) Water pump usually dies after around 70K miles. Just had to replace mine at 65K. $135 and Auto Zone with lifetime warrantee. The other option is to got with an electric conversion. 3) Opti Spark ignition is a pain in the... to replace. It's located behind the water pump, and they seem to cause quite a few problems for some people. Mine has been fine (knock on wood). Just try to keep it as dry as possible. 3) Change the wires and plugs before you put the engine in. Won't be that bad in a truck, but the number 1 cylinder is behind the A/C compressor unless you relocate it. 4) These engines run HOT as they come with a 195 thermostat, and the stock fans (2 of them) don't turn on until 220 and 235. Most LT-1 owners will replace the 195 with a 160 (you must use a LT-1 type thermostat, Hypertech is one source), and reprogram the PCM to turn the fans on earlier. You can have this done while you are having the PCM reflashed, or get a Hypertech Power Programmer III (about $350). 5) Last but not least, the 95 F-bodies had a unique OBD-I connection. It looks like a OBD-II connector, but the PCM is OBD-1. A special code reader will be needed. Try Actron.com as one source. The OBD-I's are definitely easier to work with. Oh, and follow the instructions on bleeding the air out of the cooling system. Air in the system can cause all kinds of problems, like the fans not turning on (personally know about that one). I'm sure there's more, but that's all that I can think of right now. Good luck.

'97 Trans Am - Black / LT-1 / K&N FIPK Cold Air Kit / Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust / 160 Thermostat

'02 Buick Regal GS / Bone Stock
GasHog396 is offline   Reply With Quote