View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
SLR_65

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Hi Jonboy,

I'm certain I have no VSS drive gears since I have the reluctor ring, though I will continue to dig a bit deeper into this when I have a bit more time.

I'm sure I can install gears with a JTR kit but it'll probably be cheaper to just find a DRAC (or Buffer as they are also called) and change the speedometer. I'm sure my local salvage yard will have something that will work, or Dakota Digital makes a unit that I'm sure will work for $85.

I don't think removing the AIR injection without disabling it in the computer is a good idea whether it's tpi or tbi - basically AIR drumps air into the exhaust so the O2 sensor is going to see more air. To avoid erroneously adjusting for that extra air the computer shaves a little off the input when it's calling for the AIR to be injected (not all the time, just when it calls for the AIR). The AIR is not supervised so it wont set a code. i.e. it's just sending a signal out to open the valve and it's assuming that's being done - whether it is really being done or not. Since it thinks it's being done it then invokes the O2 fudge factor.

I think this is like the use a VSS or not situation - the engine will run and for many people it will run just fine without a VSS but it's simply not running as well as it could be.

Personally I think I'll leave the AIR hooked up for now. If it creates a problem later down then road then maybe I'd look at just disabling it in the chip by raising it's minimum activation temperature. I have the AIR pump already on the engine, it's already in the wiring harness, and the engine runs fine so I'm not going out of my way to mess with it as I just don't see much need to.

Here's an interesting thread on it at the 3rd gen camaro forum:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...-pump-air.html

The above is on a different ecu, but somewhere I have a thread on the 7747s and it said literally the same thing.

TTYL,

Steve
SLR_65 is offline   Reply With Quote