View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #109
brn agn

Re: 71 Cheyenne Super- A Combined Effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy383 View Post
I was looking at your inner rocker and wondering why it doesn't run up to the seam? looks to be short, I'm doing mine now and that area just doesn't seem to fit right. what your trick?
The inner rocker we used was too long for the space it is intended for, so we cut off the front of the rocker and welded it in. I'll be making a small patch panel to fill in the gap between the rocker and seam.

Since we are on the subject of cab repair, here are a few pictures of progress from this weekend.

The bracket that the lower door hinge bolts thread in to was missing from inside the a-pillar on the passenger side. sharpie1972 sent us a used one. I didn't get a before picture, but the bracket is L-shaped and has a thin sheet metal "cage" that is spot welded to the a-pillar in two place. The cage is designed so the bracket will not fall into the a-pillar, but it has enough play that the hinge can be adjusted. So, I drilled out the spot welds on the piece sharpie1972 sent us:

I guess I was making good progress, because I didn't think to take any pictures of the next steps!

I then used the old a-pillar as a template and marked the two holes on our cab, and drilled them out. I cut a square access panel to get to the inside of the a-pillar, slid the bracket and cage inside the a-pillar and spot welded it in place. In order to pull the bracket/cage close to the a-pillar, I inserted a 1/4-20 bolt with a large fender washer on the backside through the bracket and used a washer and nut on the outside to hold the bracket/cage in place.

In this picture you can see the top spot weld (I have already ground some of it down) and the access hole in the front:

...then it was just a matter of welding everything shut and putting primer on the exposed metal:

I also worked on fitting the driver's side cab corner today. I have a little more work to do on it before I weld it in place, but it is close.

While I was doing this, Geoff was working on the frame, suspension, steering, etc... More to come on that later!

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote