View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
duwem

Re: 1950 Chevy Stock to Hot Rod Project

I'm still alive and still have the truck.

Well, last night I put the most miles on the truck I have since getting it. Probably 30 minutes of driving.

There is coolant coming from somewhere, need to isolate the overflow line and put a catch can on it to see if that is where. Going to also tighten up the hose clamp on the bottom radiator hose since that is where things are wet (also where the overflow line is though). It doesn’t look too bad, so I’m not super worried about it.

Temp stabilized around 180, so I don’t think there are any overheating concerns.

Carb is still too lean, need to run with ½ choke or more during acceleration. This is my second carb, which probably needs rebuilding as well. Attempted to rebuild the first one, but the kit I got has a different accelerator pump hookup than what is there so that didn’t work. Also picked up a Carter carb that is in rough shape, but the carters are supposed to be better, so if I can get that one rebuild that may be a good solution.

Stopped at a buddies place and shut the truck off. Did not have enough battery to restart. We found a loose connection and then were able to get it started by jumping. Might have just not been charging, or I have a charging system problem. Will need to check volts when its running. The alternator belt is in rough shape and shows signs of slipping so that might be part of it. Will replace that.

Steering is dicey at higher speeds. All the ball joints are adjustable so you can tighten them up without replacing them so might try to do that along with any adjustments to the steering box.

Also working on cutting rivet heads off and getting all the unneeded brackets off the second frame I purchased so I can box it and put in the vette crossmembers.
Attached Images

duwem is offline   Reply With Quote