Thread: Hi! my '59
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
OrrieG

Re: Hi! my '59

You have a later model axle, similar to the one in my truck, but without the lift block. When I ran the stock shocks I just welded a clip on the axle to receive the end of the shock. This time around I used the later mode mount points and beefed up the side of the frame. I did it that way because off-road I did not want anything hanging off the bottom of the axle to get sheared off or hung up. What you have is ok if you like the ride height and can get the correct square top "u" bolts.

You don't pound out u-joints unless you are out in the boonies and have no choice, to easy to damage the flange they sit in. They are pressed out using a bench vice and too sockets, one small enough to push thru from one side the other large so the end of the u-joint will go into it when pressed out. Once out you remove the cap and pull it back thru the hole. Installation is reverse process. If you have a hydralic press life is even better.

Last edited by OrrieG; 05-17-2011 at 08:44 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote