View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
67c10rustbuket

Re: Help with headers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spassmacher View Post
I'm not really sure what I need to tell the pro who's doing all the balancing and cam work. Once the discussion goes into cams and clearances and lift and all that, I'm lost.
As far as balancing goes you can discuss that with the machinist. I told mine i will be using patriot performance aluminum heads with flat top hyp coated pistons and want it balanced to 7000 rpm to be used in a truck with a 4 speed m20 muncie and i want 400HP, not a daily driver but not a race car, and they will tell you what needs to be done and how much $ and what your options are. Usually once your discussing the plans for your engine you can talk about what cams they would recommend for your specific project also.

On my engine build the machinist weight matched the pistons (by removing a little material off the heavier ones) same with the rods, then they needed one set of rings, my crankshaft , ofcourse all the rods and pistons , the flywheel, and balancer. and had it all machined and balanced together so i can spin it up to 7000rpm. a lesser rpm engine may need less work. and a higher rpm needs alot more work and $ . but a good thing you have is a shorter stroke (your 327 3.25 stroke) can handle more rpm than a longer stroke (my 350 3.48 stroke) at any given level of balancing.

Make sure you use a compression calculator before you buy your pistons or you may end up buying the wrong ones that put your compression too high for vortec heads, and then you have to buy aluminum heads with a bigger chamber to lower the compression back into street friendly, pump gas range. Yes I did it, thats why I cant use the vortec heads. I bought the pistons as soon as I had the block bored out. oops , always wanted some aluminum heads anyway

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote