View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Not a sales pitch! Slam Specialities New SS Series

Gang,
Don't know if anyone has covered it, so don't shoot me if they have.

I had installed Dominator D2600 bags on my vehicle (shhh, it's a Cadillac), front and back. I had mocked up everything twice and was sure I would be able to run an 8" bag up front in the coil pocket........ nope. The Dominators, while aired out were 8" outside diameter, but increased to at least 8.6" when pressurized. This may not sound like a lot, but when space is at a premium, a 1/4" a side can make or break an install..... which it did, in my case.

So after contacting Slam Specialities and talking a bit with Keith (lolife99) who loves S.S. products, I decided to get RE-7's. However after another phone call with S.S., I decided to try the new SS series bags, more particularly, the SS-7's.

I got them in this week and was very surprised with the fit and finish. The bases are composite and this cuts the weight down considerably. If your taking score at home, this also means cheaper shipping costs. I was a bit skeptical about the composite bases, but S.S. said as long as I have full contact with a plate, or cup, I'd be fine. Oh yeah, the SS series is also cheaper than the RE-7's.

Remember my outside diameter constraint? After testing the bag under pressure outside and installed in the vehicle, the diameter did not grow. (S.S. advertised this point, but I didn't believe them.)

The threaded inserts for 3/8" mounting bolts appeared stainless steel and 1/2" NPT was brass and were crisp and tight. I'm not going to poo poo on Dominators, but I had to chase the threads on every Dominator bag I ever installed because of paint or rust. Yes, rust.

Lastly, the Slam Specialities are also made in America, and that's way cool too.

Like I said, I'm not a paid spokesman nor do I play an actor on tv. I just though someone may benefit from my trial and error!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 06-24-2011 at 12:12 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote