View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
OrrieG

Re: New builder needs help please..50 5 window chevy

Also critical when you pull the cab is the firewall location and like 99 said the radiator. It will vary depending on if you stick with stock frame, camaro, s-10 or ?? S-10 seem to have issues with engine to rad clearance. If you use the stock rear crossmember and sbc original bellhousing the engine mounts ok for firewall clearance. If you go to saddle engine mount and trans mount you need to check clearance. BBC in the SBC location required mods to the firewall (big bump into the cab). Last week end I saw one at a show that had a bbc without firewall, but it made for interesting trans and radiator issues.

When I did mine the 4wd complicated it more. I started with the stock front drive line to locate the transfer/transmission. Luckily the engine cleared the firewall, even with my tall MT valve covers. I fabbed my engine mounts based on where the engine fell. Make sure you have the intake on so the carb is level and the engine/trans has the right angle (around 3-4 degrees if memory is working right).

I found it very helpful to start a detailed check list of things to keep track of overall and by sub system. I found it gets rid of alot of the stress involved in trying to remember everything. I have had list for years for engine, tranny, etc. R&R just so I don't forget something critical like adding oil. Bag and tag everything, I took mine apart in 2000 and now that I am reassembleing the sketches and notes in the parts bags are invaluable. Also take pictures in a format that will last. I did my whole disassembly and early stuff with a camcorder that died. Luckily my kids had the same unit so I am working on getting it transfered to dvd.

good luck and have fun
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote