Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #699
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

good explanation, thanks for the help. Sounds like you've done some oval racin. On to last night. Here was the test. Try to be consistent. 30 psi int the fronts, 22 psi in the rears. We started with our base shock set-up, and stayed with it. Everything else was set up nuetral. For the first session, from 6pm to 7:15pm, the sun was out, track was good. We ran with the OG bar. The six lap average was 49.57, with a high/low 1.41 sec. Then we put in the Flexi-bar, same set up, for the second session, 7:30 to 8:45pm. The sun was about down at the start, and it was getting dark. The air was cooler, but so is the track, and even though the track is lit, there's a few dark areas. The six lap average was 49.64, with the high/low of 1.21. So, maybe it's no real difference? But, we had set up a speed trap in the middle of a sweeping right hander at the end of the front straight. Average speed in session 1 was 39.47 mph, average speed in sesion 2 was 44.86 mph. Thats HUGE, so why slower lap times? At the end of the back straight is a 230 deg banked, decreasing raduis hairpin turn, it's challenging. With the Flexi-bar, the grip was really good here, then it would overpower the tire, and the truck would 'buck' to the side a little bit, then i would slow down to control it. Maybe I entered the corner too fast, But I do think I could have tuned that out with the rear shocks. - But, shock tuning wasn't part of the nights program. So, I'm not so sure there are big gains, but I'm not ready to give yup. The higher trap speed are too impressive. So, next week we'll go back, run two sessions with the flexi-bar, and tune with air pressure, shocks, and alignment, and see what we can get out of it. On a side note, we did take the JT out with us. It ran a 51.69 average, with a fast lap of 50.95. the high/low was 2.18. It's best running ever. We have installed a Painless Wiring trans controller, which helps with the lock up. Then we have changed the front alignment as follows, camber, -1/2deg. camber, +7 1/2 deg. toe out 1/8". the truck steers great, but it is a bit loose on corner exit. Mike says it's great to drive on the freeway, and in the hills around his house, better than a new truck.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote