View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #23
Devillusion

Re: project: Gangreen

Been a while, but some progress made non the less. Had a huge running issue for the past few months and took a break from it before I lit a match under it.

Long story short: Swapped out tank for the undamaged one, and only had it running in short time periods for the most part of the last few months here and there. Everything seemed to be good.....had around a quarter tank of fuel and I also had 2 other saddle tanks that were mostly full from a 1 ton dually diesel I stripped. So I took the fuel from them and obviously filled up the K5. At this point I decided to run some seafoam in the tank to get things running a bit better/efficient. This is where things went to hell....

The truck would start chugging, water in fuel light would come on, and if you panned it to the floor you would only get around 2000rpm out of it at best. Let off and she would die. Let sit for a bit and once it fired up again it would idle fine on it's own for a short period then chug, then die. This went on for a while....figured...bad fuel right? So, after leaving it alone for a couple months now I decided to either fix it or pitch it. Got some fuel in a jerry can, hooked it up at the frame rail/electric pump and fired it up. Ran great...perfect I thought....bad fuel. Sucks...but fixable. Then realized it went through $13.00 in fuel in 10 minutes. WTF!!! After debating the issue at hand for an hour or so, figured out that the fuel return was still on the tank.....was just putting the extra fuel back into the "crappy fuel". Failing to mention that I tried the fuel additives as well prior to this to rectify the assumed water in fuel issue.

So at this point it was decided to drop the "FULL TANK" of fuel..."uggh". And so it would be....dropped the tank, emptied it out into 5 gal pails and dumped it into my parts burban tank in the yard/truck. Reinstalled tank, bough new fuel, attempted to bleed lines....killed batteries trying to start.

Walked away for the night....

Put the charger on trickle for the whole night/day, then when I returned from work on Monday tried to start again. Cranked and cranked and cranked.....nothing. Again WTF????

Walked around the truck to see if there were any wet lines, leaks etc and just so happened to notice when I looked between the frame rail and the body at the tank....the fuel line I had replaced with all new stuff was appearantly to long and was kinkded off. Bent the steel line back a bit and straightened out the line, the electric pump picked up rpm and I opened the bleeder/filter. Fuel bled out faster than it ever did, closed it off and attempted a start again.

Vaaaroooooomm, clackity clackity clack....."are you F'ing kidding me?" I had no choice but to start laughing. At this point what else can you do. One simple little oversight causes sooooo much bull**** it's crazy.

So, long story short...lol......thought my little mishap may create a fix for someone else that may be put into the same situation as myself and hopefully not cause them as much greif.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote