Thread: My 58 build
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
OrrieG

Re: Engine & Trasmission in!!

First time the cab was on the truck, did not pull it. The length of the front drive line positioned the transfer case, which positioned the transmission. I then installed the engine using the front engine mount configuration. Because of the stress I knew I would put on the frame removing the crossmember was not a consideration. The truck I used as an inspiration for mine also had a TH350 with the cross member in place. Yes its tight but I have pulled the trans pan, it just takes a little patience. The inspection plate is tucked up far enough that you cannot see it is two piece without crawling under the truck. The notch in the bottom of the rear cross member is for the front driveline, when the passenger wheel was pushed up (compressed) it was hitting. If you look at my build thread you will notice everything is bolted to the frame, not welded. When I was researching my conversion in 85 I saw a couple of trucks that had welded engine and trans mounts that caused the frame to crack at the welds.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote