View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Cooling system issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post

What I have is a Serpentine Belt System, with No Shroud and what looks to be a Cheap Brand "Flex Fan", mounted on a 2" Hub.
Now the Blades are about 2" from the radiator.

My 1st thought was to get a Shroud, Clutch Fan and Flush the Cooling System, and re-fill the Anti Freeze.

Money IS an issue, so if it WEREN'T, I'd be installing Dual Cooling Fans, and wouldn't need to post here.
I'm at the Tip of the Iceberg, looking through the Internet and researching this issue and what's available.
I was wondering if someone has made a shroud to fit our 67-72 Chevy/GMC's that has an electric Fan built into it already?

I was wondering if I'm headed in the right direction with the Shroud/Clutch Fan idea above, or if I should go straight to a electric cooling Fan?
I've seen some single Fans that clip onto your existing radiator ect.
First off you need to determine if it's a air flow problem a coolant flow problem or possibly both, if it's getting hot going over 45-50 mph it ain't the fan. Way more air flows through your grill at those speeds than any fan setup.....matter of fact most automatic controlled fans aren't even doing anything at 50 mph no matter how hot it is. The fan is really for stop and go or slow speed driving. 4000+ cfm can flow through most grills at 50mph

So take notes on when its overheating both sitting still and cruising. If it ONLY overheats when setting still its most likely a airflow problem, inadequate or not properly working fan setup, or possibly dirty or crushed fins. If it ONLY overheats cruising over 50 mph it's most likely a fluid flow problem.

If it's overheating all the time ...this is usually some sort of restriction in fluid flow not air flow. Flush the system chemically and inspect the best you can with a flashlight inside the radiator for heavy deposits (you may have to have a shop clean it if its really bad.) Now take the radiator cap, and the thermostat off and throw them in the trash ...why? because there cheap and the easiest things to eliminate, these two items alone can cause all sorts of problems and together they only cost between $15 and $20 tops.

Make sure to use the correct temp thermostat for your engine...removing the thermostat WILL NOT fix overheating problems, and will make your engine run worse because of the constant temp fluctuations.

Now refill the system like this: drive the front wheels up on ramps so the cap is the absolute highest place in the system and turn the heater on high, fill the radiator to the top and start the engine ...leave the cap off!!!...now when the thermostat opens the level should drop considerably, keep adding coolant and wait till it cycles for a while. If you have a closed system that has a reservoir and recirculates, fill it completely full. If you don't have a recirculating system leave a couple inches at the top for expansion, otherwise it will just blow the excess out through the cap and on the ground. Now put the cap on and fill the reservoir (if you have one) to the mark only. Use the least amount of antifreeze you can get away within your climate conditions (straight water cools better than any antifreeze mixture)....but you need some in there for anti corrosion purposes and it does raise the boil over point a little ....along with the pressure in the system.

If all this doesn't solve the problem the water pump may be inadequate for your motor .... though this is very unlikely until you get into the high rpm modified engines.

If it still overheats, write back and describe the details and we'll get it figured out.

All right I'm spent ....hope this helps ...later.......Rushnbobo
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote