View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Chad215

Houston 64 GMC (Big Blue)

I've been lurking here for a while, just like a lot of you guys. I've seen lots of great work by some obviously very talented people and have been nothing buy impressed by everyone's work. I've been thinking about bringing this girl home for a while, but didn't really get the motivation till I found this site-

The story-
Around '92-'93 I bought my first truck. My dad matched what little money I saved from an after school job, and we found this 64. The PO had already swapped in a 350 with TH350 trans, 12 bolt posi rear, holly 750 DP, and a couple of other nifty aftermarket goodies.
This truck was FAST! It was really nice for a 16 year old that didn't know anything abut vehicle maintenance. I drove it everyday for a few years. It would break down, I would leave it on the side of the road till I could find or afford parts, work on it on the side of the road, and get it going again. The rear end was never really on right and I threw the driveshaft out of that truck more times than I could count. I got to the point where I just kept 3-4 u joints with me all the time. You would have thought I was working with nascar- I could run down the road, pick up my driveshaft, and have it back in the truck , installed, and back on the road in 15 minutes!
I eventually threw a rod, and the truck went into hibernation. It got brought back to my parents house, and there it sat. I went off to the army, and didn't think too much about it.

Over the years, my dad ended up with a 305 out of an 85 Blazer and swapped out the 350. He planned on doing a complete restore and bought plenty of parts and made a decent amount of progress. But just like everyone else, life got in the way, and time issues and injuries didn't allow him the opportunity to work on it as much as he wanted. The truck eventually sat in the back yard under a tarp only to be started once a month or so, just to keep it running. Space was beginning to be an issue, and he decided to just sell it.
I thought i would just take some pictures and put it on craigslist for him. Figured it would be a quick sale at a good price, and that would be the end of it. But....I just couldn't let it go. A month later, I was over there with a buddy and a trailer, loaded it up, and brought it home.

The wife isn't thrilled, but when are they ever really happy about you bringing home a 3000 lb rust bucket to the suburbs? The plan is to just get it reliable and running right away. Enough to go on a short drive on a nice day. Then, as time and money allows, start working on it piece by piece, and getting up to the standards I think it should be at.

I'm giving myself 6 months to get it road ready. Then I'll start the body work, interior, etc... I think I just want it to look fairly stock on the outside, with a little monster under the hood.

...and here's the pics, with more to follow soon.
Attached Images

Chad215 is offline   Reply With Quote