View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #85
MADMIKE

Re: Olds powered 72 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennerd View Post
Thanks Micheal! Feel like I got me a good skoolin there. lol I have the 350 but have had no hopes for any real power from this engine. I want to run this motor and build an earlier engine for a future transplant. I think I'm catching a bit of an Olds bug now, so I owe it to myself to at least start with a good power maker next time around.
Rocket engines do get you hooked.
FWIW, some cheap upgrades, look to 80-84 307 Olds engines. These engines came with an AL 4V intake, some claim as good as a Performer intake. These are identified by the 'A4' raised casting in front of the first runner on the P side. Also the '5A' heads used on these earlier 307s have 67cc chambers, the valves are smaller, but can be upgraded larger valves. IIRC the 3A heads you have are 79cc chambers. The intake/exhaust ports are comparable in size.

Avoid the later '85-'90 roller block '7A' heads(not to be confused with coveted '72 350 '7a' heads) and 'A5' intake. These have a swirl port design that uses intake ports less than half the size of a typical SBO. Great for smooth economy performance in a 2.14:1 geared car, but that's about it.

FlowKooler uses AL GMB water pumps for their line of water pumps. FK installs a back plate to the impeller for improved flow. However these FK modified GMB pumps can be anywhere from $80-120 US. The GMB pumps can often be found for considerably less. Anywhere from as low as $25-60 US.