Thread: Cheap Tricks
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #114
Dub_X
Professional Crow Bar Tosser

Re: Cheap Tricks

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but electrolysis was a major help when redoing the front suspension in my '88 and everything was rusted from the a-arms to the t-bars. Now, this takes a few days, but believe me it works. You can look it up and do it however you want to, but the way I do it, is with either a plastic tote or a 55-gallon drum barrel, fill with water, stick some rebar in there, wrap each rebar in copper wire, connecting them together, and make sure you have a battery charger, baking soda, and steel wire or small chain in handy.

M'kay, rebar should be about 4" taller than what you're using [in my case it was a 55 gallon barrel, so, tall as hell]. Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of baking soda [I use arm & hammer], mix it until the baking soda dissolves. Clean the tops of the rebar, easiest with just a wire wheel. Wrap the copper around EACH rebar, about an inch or 2, maybe 3 above the water, then whatever you're cleaning suspend it from bar to bar with a small chain or steel wire. Take the battery charger, attach the negative clamp to whatever you're cleaning, and the positive clamp to the copper wire wrapped around the rebar. Once the battery charger goes on, the rust will slowly go away. This may take from a few hours, to a few days, but it works! It's cheap, and I think easy.
Dub_X is offline   Reply With Quote