View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: SES light problem

You seem to have electrical talent as well as trouble-shooting abilities. I am assuming you checked the electrical harness connections on the guage cluster. Since you have an '88, it has reached the magical age of 23 years. It may be that the connector on the cluster is an issue or there is an issue within the cluster that just doesn't pass current as it should. Maybe a hairline crack in the board?

It sounds as if it may be within the cluster, to me. That is, unless you wrote something that I overlooked.

Regarding your voltage readings, and bearing in mind the age of these trucks, there may be an issue with your battery cables and connections. Corrosion that builds up within the insulation of the cables will limit current and ergo, may affect the voltage you "see" at a given point. I see that you are in Vegas, so you wouldn't think corrosion at grounds would be an issue, but the cables from the battery are not immune. Those stacked connectors on the positive post are also prone to corrosion build-up. Yours wouldn't be the first one to have that malady.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote