View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #23
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: How much to expect to pay for a nice paint job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I've been meaning to stop in for a few days with my opinion. I have not had time to read all the way down this post and I never answer a post without doing so in case it has been covered, but there is a first for everything. That truck is gonna need to be stripped down to bare metal. The reason the paint "let go " from the primer is because of faulty primer. I did the warranty work for the local chevy dealer and that problem was called "Delamination". GM people decided that the primer was the cause of this and repainted under warranty tons of trucks and some cars from the late 80's to early 90's. I was told by GM to coorect this problem that the primer would all have to go. Mainly the surfaces that see the most sunlight are effected , meaning that normally you don't have to strip below the lower moulding. I don't do outside work much anymore so as to the cost of a paintjob I can't help and to the question about chain paint shops you get some good and some bad just like anywhere else. Maybe look at what the workers are driving ,out back. If it is nicely painted cool old cars and trucks I would say you are good to go. Now the more you take off the better off you will be money wise. Good luck hope it turns out well

Like Button!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote