View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #2594
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

Man Drew, You have some of the same painting luck I have had in the past. One in particular reminds me of your hood...well kinda. I was fixing up a car for my wife it was lightly hit in the front when I bought it. 2004 Grand prix, it was an easy fix, and I got it real cheap. My ole friend has a dealers license he hooks me up when I need a cheap driver. Anyway, I went to my local paint store I have real good luck with in the past. With my paint code in hand. He mixed me up a quart of the good stuff ppg bc/cc. It wasn't cheap either. I painted the hood and fender waited then cleared it with the high $$ clear. It turned out GREAT! no runs or dryspots, it looked factory in my "booth".The next day I start mounting the fender and it didn't match, not even close! Dang it. Over $200 down the drain for paint and supplies. Well, that didn't bother me as much as sanding and respraying it all again. The guy at the paint store didn't charge me for the next quart but that sure didn't cover my labor. I did take the old fender to get a perfect match the second time. The second paint job had a run on the fender and orangepeel on the hood go figure. And it turns out now the paint is too thick so little rock chips on the hood make for an ugly mess. Sorry for the long story but my point is, I'm kinda worried about your paint being too thick now. Mine had 4 coats too and it is noticeably too thick. Oh yeah, I guess you have a revolving charge at the paint store by now. Good luck.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote