View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 09:50 PM   #15
chevy71super

I was running the 11:50 X 32's All Terrains, now have 12:50 X 35's Mud Terrains. One thing I can say about the All Terrains is they do last and given the limited amount of snow we see on the west side of the state they are a good all around choice. Be warned they don't perform that well in the heavy wet stuff.

I was impressed with the performance of the Mud Terrains and not in the sense you would think. I hit a metal object on I-90 a couple of weeks ago and it punctured a 2" hole in all 5 cords. (When we dismounted the tire the steel cords were visible on the inside.) It most certainly went flat immediately but you wouldn't have known it the way the truck drove. We heard the bang going about 70 MPH and I told my wife that was going to hurt the truck. We kept going, passing two semi's pulling a motorcycle trailer with two bikes and about 500 pounds of junk in the back. Kept going about 70, the truck felt a little squirrely but not much different than a mild side wind. After about five miles I told my wife something didn't sound right, the hum of the tires was noticably different. We pulled over and sure enough the tire was flat. The good thing is BFG has rubber that extends beyond the rim which protected it from any damage plus the tire kept its bead. The rims are older American wheels no longer in production.

What ever I hit flew out of the tire so hard it left a hole in the left rear wheel well and dented the box in a couple of places. I bought a new tire this weekend, I will get the damage fixed this winter.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote