View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #46
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: How much to expect to pay for a nice paint job?

$1800-$5000

Do some research in the "search" box above educating yourself about the paint and body shop possibilities. There are lots of threads about folks experiences with paint and body shops. Search "paint jail" and "crooks" , "body shops", or "paint jobs". You are now researching what unfortunatly can becomes the worst part of a build..... be very carefull where you go. A good way to tell what kind of shop you are going to is by looking at all the unfinished cars at the shop. Most shops take collision/insurance work in and turn it while putting older stuff on the back burner. NEVER, NEVER pay ahead of time, get a schedule in writing along with a section mentioning they have to stay on schedule or you can remove the vehicle at your choosing without a mechanics lien being placed on the vehicle. Make payments after each section is done. Body work, finished primer, and them final payment after its sprayed and buffed. I have found doing this normally weeds out the folks that intend on keeping your vehicle for more than a reasonable amount of time.

With that said..not all body shops are like this. There are lots of stand up shops and word of mouth from CUSTOMERS is going to be the way to find a good one. It took me going through about 10 shops and 20 years to find a stand up operation and I have now sent probably 10-15 personal jobs and referred 75 or more to them.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by 72freak; 01-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote