View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 09:50 AM   #1
Hugger

72 front end problems

I posted this ont the suspension board, but I need help fast, and there are allot more of you on this board...Thanks.

I tore down the front end of my 72 this weekend, got everything cleaned and painted, and started putting in the new ball joints, and bushings last night...
The bushing caps on one of the upper arms, and one of the lowers were not threading real easy, so I kind of forced them with a pipe...
I know...what a dumb a@@!!!
My only excuse, is I have never done the bushings before, and I thought without really thinking, that the outside threads on the cups were just knurled, or machined in a way that would make them tight against the A-Arm, when you torqued them on the shaft??????
Anyway, I think I have 1 upper A-ARM that is screwed up.
When I tighten the cups, I can move the shaft right until I give it the last turn to tight.

Then the shaft will not move without a lot of force (18" bar)
The other one I can hold the shaft, and swing the ARM, it is tight, but moves freely.

Have I screwed up that arm, or what?

I also noticed that if I take off one cup, with the other cup tight, the shaft is not centered in the other end, and when you turn it , it moves off center???

Also, How tight should the shafts be when done correctly?

Flame me if you will..but help me if you can...

Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote