View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
imsuchaman55

Re: Project racing $$$. 1968 GMC SWB 5.3/4l60E Build

I havent had a chance to see it from the drivers seat. We took the column out to repaint it and replace the worn out bearing inside, and havent put the steering wheel back on. It is the huge bus wheel, and is pretty messed up, so were trying to figure out what to replace it with. I assume that the gauges will be visible from the seat, they are higher than the originals, but I dont know, I never drove this truck before. The seat is really thrashed, and with all the broken springs in it, I dont want to plop my 6'5, 290lb butt on it. Not the kind of surprise Im looking for in this truck!! haha. I do know my brother angled the gauges a little bit so that they angled toward the driver.

I hooked the gauges up to power on the bench, and got the illumination, blinkers, high beam indicator, and voltage to show, so thats a good sign. I really like how much brighter this illumination compared to other older dashes. I do have one concern though. I know I wire the tach and speedo directly to the pcm, the fuel level sending unit direct to gas gauge, and the oil pressure gauge to the oil pressure sending unit, which I am replacing with a camaro one that matches the cluster year, but have some concerns about the water temp and check engine light. All diagrams I have show water temp coming from serial data cable coming from pcm, into a spliter that splits the signals for cluster and diagnostic port. I am hoping that I can wire the serial data cable directly to the 02 camaro cluster serial data cable input and have the water temp work?? Im not 100% sure they are compatible. Also, I know the pcm puts out a check engine light wire, that supplies ground to turn light on, but with this gauge cluster having the information box in upper right corner, will it also be pulling info from the serial data?? I just want to make sure I get everything working correctly.

Im glad you like it!! I figure it would be a nice alternative to having to buy expensive electric gauges, and adds a custom look to the dash, without going too extreme. I just hope I can get my water temp to read...
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote