View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #434
jlaird

Re: Project: Bad Bagged '68.5

OK, so its been an ETERNITY since I last updated this thread. I actually have been working on the truck consistently....SLOW. As I probably have cried about previously, I only get a few hours on the weekends to work.

The past year I have worked on getting the front sheetmetal in order. This involved sourcing a new fender, a new core support, patching fenders, shaving marker lights, finishing porterbuilt hinges, and spending probably 50-75 hours on the cowl panel. The cowl panel was the last piece of the puzzle, so almost every edge of that was sliced and diced to make fit good.

Here are two pictures on the new lower cup on the passenger side fender:

Another replacement panel on the passenger side panel. After doing these two patches, I said screw it and bought a rust free driver side fender. LOL!

here is an in progress shot of the marker light filler panel...going for that 67 look!

Ok, so on to the cowl panel, this area did not fit nice at all, so out came the cut off wheel to reposition the metal for a nice uniform gap.

some more pie cuts to align the cowl to hood.

Here is a picture of adding some 3/16 inch rod because the cowl to fender gap was too big.

Same deal with the cowl to door gap.

The cowl to hood gap needed to widen a bit.

ALL DONE!!!

Porterbuilt hinges tacked in place. A little advice, when you are aligning body panels, make sure you have your struts on because they push the hood up in the rear.

Hood Up.

I also installed the porterbuilt updated motor mount to frame stiffening pieces. Thanks Nate! A free upgrade, what a guy!

Here's how the truck sits as of today. My rollers are gone since my buddy took them back after letting me use them for a few years. I thought he had forgotten! LOL

Well thats about a years of work. Doesn't look like I accomplished a lot in 2011, but I put a ton of time in it seem like. Next up is the bed.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote