Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #1029
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
With stock steering, the inner TRE pivit is too high. Computor analisys shows it should move down about 5/8" to help eliminate bump steer. We usually focus on the inner TRE, because moving the outer TRE means modified spindles. - (or rod-end type and other mods)As luck would have it, "tipping" the spindle to gain + caster will also raise the outer TRE, so this could easily turn out to be a 'win-win' mod.

As far as wheel position, with a dropped spindle, the wheel will move about 1/2 the distance of the LBJ. So if we move the LBJ forward 1 1/4", the wheel will move about 5/8". Yes, different drop or stock spindles will move a different amount. The more the drop, the less the wheel will move.
Have you looked at using the early 90's C2500 light duty spindles? These came with 6-lug rotors but the 5-lug rotors of the same vintage will fit them as well so they can work for all of us.

They are about 9-5/8" tall so they would be about 1-3/4" taller than the stock spindles. They can be bolted on with the use of C20 lower A-arms once fit with the ball joints to match the spindles and the matching upper ball joints will bolt into the stock upper A-arm.

I have them on my 69 stepside but have quite a bit of work left to do before it is on the road so I don't know how it is going to work out alignment wise.

There are other board members who have done the swap too but I don't know of any that have the truck on the road with them yet.

It might be something to look into even if it might require moving the TRE attachment point a bit.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote