View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
k1rodeoboater

Re: Good deal or not?

Holy crap....after looking at the prices for replacement 3/4 ton parts I see why they aren't very popular. I am not so sure it is such a great deal and here is why, aside from the fact that 3/4 ton brake parts are expensive as all get out.

Pass running board is kinda jacked up, repairable but it would take a lot of work for me to get right.

All 8 fenders that come with the truck are probably beyond my scope to patch and repair. I tried to patch the rear fender on my 66 and miraculously got it to work with only a little distortion.

Both vent glass pieces need to be replaced, and at least 1 full frame is needed for the pass side. Rear window needs to be replaced too as it is cracked.

Cab floor has rust holes and thin spots in a few areas. Overall not bad considering its age but was not what I was hoping for. The corners by the kick panels have a shoddy fiberglass patch by the previous owner so who knows how bad that damage is

Drivers door is hanging funny and won't close fully. Also the drivers side cowl is dented where it looks like the door impacted the cowl. I can't remember if it was the driver or passenger door but e skin looks like it has bondo in it.

The truck was converted over to 12v, shoddily, and starts up on the first try with no hesitation. It sounded kinda funny at idle but I couldn't put my finger on why. Also there is some sort of bearing squealing in the trans. As I push in the clutch it starts up, but goes away at speed. back to my point on the 12v. All dad lights work, all gauges work...except fuel, but that is because when he converted to 12v he forgot to add a resistor to the sending unit and fried it. The truck also has an annoying woogah horn on it.

The grill is damaged, but probably repairable.

In the 60s the engine was rebuilt because they ran it out of oil. Rebuild tag from lobo is on the block. Additionally the owner wired in an electric fuel pump as the mechanical one was leaking

I also can't help but wonder why the current owner stripped it down to bare metal on the cab exterior, sprayed it with a shoddy coat of 2k and is trying to sell it.

On the plus sides....

The bed is in really good shape with the original wood. The head board needs to be replaced but that is to be expected. The tailgate has a few holes in it from reflectors and the license plate, but that is easily fixed as the tailgate is otherwise perfectly straight. Bedsides are solid with a few dents the can be worked out. Cross sills look to be solid still, bed strips are good too. Truck has a brand new exhaust on it, new brakes and cylinders, and new master cylinder.

My estimation....would be anywhere for $3-5k in body repair panels (no paint) and glass work. That's prior to touching the engine, trans, chassis, and interior which I figure would run about the same best to worst case. So $6-10k of work to get it done.

Prices based off lmc catalogue
Posted via Mobile Device

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote