View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Twin stick really worth it?

I run an ORD twin stick 205 behind a NV4500. I really could care less about having a twin stick but it was the only easy and durable way to rig up a 205 shifter behind a NV4500. Contrary to popular belief, a 205 is not like a Dana 300 where a twin stick shifter will yield you the ability to do front digs. You must modify the shift rail if you want to spin only the front axle.

From ORD’s website:
“New modified shift rails are not currently available. In the meantime we are modifying stock rails to accomplish the same thing: to get front wheel drive only. We build them up and run them through both the mill and the lathe here, doing it right involves much more than a grinder. Charge is $85 with a $125 core charge (we can wait to receive your rails and waive the core charge)”

You also do not need a twin stick to achieve 2lo. Simply shift the 205 in to low range without locking the hubs as Wilkin mentioned. That gets you 2 low. I used 2low for years in my dad’s wrecker when backing up cars into tight spots as I didn’t have to ride the clutch and the truck would just creep while I concentrated on backing up the towed car. I still use 2 low in the NV4500 often when backing up the driveway into the shop.

BTW….National Drivetrain sells a great reseal kit. For $23 you get ever gasket for every 205 combination in one convenient kit.

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 01-21-2012 at 08:46 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote