View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Airstream Shortification!

The Airstream I purchased for work will no longer need to be in service because the company let me go at Christmas.
So while I'm unemployed I've decided to go ahead with the modification process.
Step 1: The concept.

Convert this......

too......

Step 2: New shortened frame with new axle.

Relocating the battery to the section between the cab and rear bumper. Also installing a mount for a telescoping flagpole I had also purchased. There's a basket between the pole and battery box to house the extension cable for powering up the trailer. The thought is also to set up for a future modification of the removal of the rear window and rear lower panel to be replaced by a folding ramp that will allow rear access for my brothers Harley. I would like to install a 40" monitor to show a slideshow presentation of Chevrolet Dealer Communication Kits I have.

We have an old electro-hydraulic pipe bender so Dad ( 79 years old and loves to tinker ) made a die for bending 2x4 tubing. We bent up the 3/16 tube without much effort. Nice and clean look that no one will see unless they get down on all fours, but it's the fun of being able to bend it.

After all is said and done it should be a little less than 10ft. inside. About 14ft. overall.
I'll have it sprayed with foam to insulate the walls and floors. Thinking of Line-X on the floor inside, under the floor to protect the foam insulation and maybe on the walls as well. We'll see. I need a finish on the interior foam which will cover the aluminum ribs as to create a thermal break.

Last edited by aerotruk63; 01-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote