View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
jstplyn331

Re: '72 Blazer 4wd getting all the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgeh01 View Post
If I may ask, which push button setup are you going with... Also, could you outline all the items that are required for such a conversion..? I am on the fence in regards to going this direction as I have read over several forums where folks just do not like to deal with the problems associated with the electric push button option.. Maybe there were certain models/years they had issues with - who knows.. I just want something that is dependable..

Also you mentioned the ford axles were 8 lug.. I really want to keep my old school 5 spoke rims that are 6 lug.. Do they make any kind of conversion..
I am going with the Chevy Push button as they have had push button the longest. It is out of a 2002 suburban. It is the 4L60e Transmission with the NP246 Transfer Case. You can keep the 6 lug wheel with your 5 spoke rims, but here is the problem you will fun into.

If you are looking to due a push button 4wd they are all off either a chevy or ford I think even a jeep, but anyway they are all drivers side drop. In order to to this you will need a front axle with a drivers side housing. I prefer the 8 lug wheels better so I stepped up to the ford axle with the high piņon. As far as axles go I research the crap out of them for what I wanted and would recommend you do the same if you want to due this for a 6 lug similar set up.

This web site is probably the best you will find for axle help. http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html you will find this guy must have got really board and wanted to post anything and everything to help out people like us, AND for that I thank him.

The NP246 I have been told is a good transfer case it just needs the updated pickup pump inside cause they go out all the time.

The button config. will be the stock one that is used for the same truck. The fun part is getting it to work with the computer. I will bypass the computer and put in a alternating toggle switch. This will have to be switched to on to trick the TCCM and allow the tach speed wire to know it is all ok to engage. This is something I am still working on, but I may have found a way to input the speed wire from the computer harness in to work the same way as stock on would. Not sure if this what you were asking, but here you go and hope it helped.