Thread: Crash's 69 K10
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #190
Crash_OK

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow678 View Post
When we were talking about .024" versus .030" we were referring to solid wire. The thickness of the metal you are welding will determine what is the best wire to use. The thicker the metal the thicker the wire. You can weld thicker metal with thinner wire. The problem is, to get a good penetration and a consistent one you will need to fill the weld joint with metal(wire). The larger the metal being welded the more wire required. The flux core wire works ok on say a frame or dirty metal but is not first choice on bodywork as it will splatter terribly. Not knocking flux core, but the preference is solid wire with a shielding gas. My next purchase after my truck is on the road will be a plasma torch and TIG welder. I am just an average Joe when it comes to welding so the TIG will definately be a challenge. Sorry Crash for high-jacking your thread.

Tsnow and DD1, no problem.. this is not highjacking this is good infomation.. I am still considing us the .024 just to see what the difference is..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote