Thread: Backwoods '66
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
gtcox

Re: Backwoods '66

In that last bit I mentioned reusing or not reusing stuff.

Right now I'm up in the air as to whether or not I want to hot tank and reuse the 305 block & heads with new piston heads, cam, and intake, or if I want to find another block that's easily capable of more horsepower and just give the gas station my bank account number every time I fill up.

I like the idea of keeping the 305 and trying to turn around 325-345hp out of it, which I know is doable from many things I've read. I'm pretty sure that no matter what, I'm going to end up putting a 700r4 tranny in. So with the 305 and overdrive the truck will be a pretty nice cruiser with a slight bit of performance.

And then I start entertaining the idea of putting a 454 in and blowing the doors off of all the yayhoos around here in their brand new "sports cars."

Don't say "it'd be cheaper to get a 350." I do not want a 350 even if my only reason is to be different.

Later on I'll post more about my build thoughts and options for the 305.

It really all just comes down to cost. If I can get a larger engine that's clean, and maybe only needs a cam, intake, and headers, then I'll probably bolt it on in. If not, I'll go with my efficient and cruise-worthy 305 and only pick on ricers and v6 mustangs. And make a lot of noise driving through town.

Oh, and in Indiana...there are no emission laws.
gtcox is offline   Reply With Quote