Thread: Backwoods '66
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
gtcox

Re: Backwoods '66

So, after pulling everything I could off the engine for the most part, I decided it was time for new toys this past weekend.

In that picture you can kind of see how I have my bed and doors suspended off to the left there.

Then it was time to put them to use. Broke out the 305 and powerglide all at once...and made a mess in the process. But what's heart surgery without a little blood?

Again, notice the ungodly speaker hole in the back driver's side of the cab?

I think I'm going to hold on to the tranny until I get a new one (just in case). Fun fact: you can fit small pallets from work in the back seat of an Audi A4. That starter was recently rebuilt, unsure of the condition of the torque converter; it was blue and missing some paint, how's that for technical?

Then got the 305 on the stand with creative use of those little things that go under the nut on the rocker arm as spacers. Hey, my bolts were just a little too long and it saved me from a trip to the hardware store! No, I don't plan on reusing them in the engine. I'm sure someone will tell me what the actual name for those things are, I'm just having a brain fart right now.

The bottom end looked alright from what I could tell. The PO in all his infinite wisdom only had the oil pan nuts on finger tight?

Got the cam out. The lifters were a pain in the ass (not reusing them either)! I tried pulling them out with channel locks and it took forever because they'd just get stuck and refuse to move. So I ended up pulling them up and letting them lodge which was enough clearance to get the cam out and after it was out I just knocked them into the engine with a screw driver and rubber mallet and let them fall out the bottom. To me this seemed rather barbaric, but I was getting frustrated. I hope I'm not making everyone cringe.

From what I can tell, the cam is stock or an OEM replacement. There are no numbers or colors on the end, only GM 29 0652 stamped between some of the lobes. I will not be reusing this either, planning on putting something a little meaner sounding in. 268H from Comp Cams?

Took these out of the heads the following day. Didn't notice any cracks or chips in them, but they're awfully gunked up. If I keep the heads are these something that I should clean and reuse or just toss for new ones? Getting new springs no matter what.

And now you're almost caught up on the build! Just in time for it to slow down because of lack of funds :\

If there's anyone interested in stuff like the stock intake manifold, cam, ext. to beef up those 350's of yours let me know and I'll see about shipping I am actually looking to get rid of the 16in Enkei rims though and eventually going with something a little more...classic. Don't know if I want to keep the 6 lug patter or go to five, guess I need to figure that out before I get the disc brake conversion kit. Was thinking something like these:
gtcox is offline   Reply With Quote