Thread: Backwoods '66
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
gtcox

Re: Backwoods '66

Here's what I'm thinking about doing with my engine after the block and heads are hot tanked and magnafluxed. Let me know if you think this is a decent set up for a 305. I want to mostly do highway cruising, no really crazy performance stuff.

Q-jet 750cfm carb
Edlebrock Performer RPM intake for Q-jet
Comp Cams 268H kit with springs and timing gears
Maybe Silv-O-Lite Pistons with .100dome #144 (not sure if this will work with valve clearence)
New HEI distributor.
Stock ramhorn exhaust manifolds.

All hooked up to a 700R4 transmission (because I want an OD gear) and the existing 3.71 gears in the rear.

This is just a collection of stuff I've seen in other 305 builds that I've been kicking around. Like I said, if I get an unbeatable price on a larger engine like a 454 I'd love to go with something with lots of horsepower. But right now, this seems more realistic. My aunt has a 1500 she uses on her farm with a 454 in it. A mid 90's truck I think. She mentioned something about letting me have the engine out of it if they can't sell the truck. I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing an engine out of a Pick a Part if it weren't for the fact that you really have no idea what you're getting when you pull something from there. So many options! Why can't there be a perfect great gas mileage and 500hp combo! I really wouldn't mind running a BBC that got 30mpg
gtcox is offline   Reply With Quote