View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #132
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Sounds like a plan, I’ll look forward to your visit when you eventually make the “Perimeter Tour”!

As for Pontiac engines, I became a fan back around 1970 on my first day of work at a new job. I was driving a black 1963 Galaxie 500 XL with the bucket seat interior and a factory 390/4 speed setup (later to include 3x2’s off a 406):

I parked right behind what appeared to be a brand new 1961 Pontiac hardtop, wearing a full set of American mags and Firestone wide ovals. By the end of the shift I had met the owner and learned more of the details which nearly blew my mind. He in fact bought the car brand new and spent five years collecting all the parts needed to assemble an authentic 421 Super Duty engine. In addition it had the dual quads, an Isky 505 roller cam, Scheifer flywheel and clutch assembly, Sun tach, and Hurst shifter. It had all the go fast goodies. When the car was brand new he removed the sunvisors and had a new headliner installed.

It was show car quality and unrestored. He just maintained it in mint original condition. Most days I parked right behind his car and the pair drew a lot of attention.

Later I picked up a POS 68 Firebird. The body was shot, but it had a completely rebuilt 389/4 speed that the guy couldn’t get running right. It picked it up for a song, intending to pull the 389/4 speed to put in my 67 Chevelle:

The only thing wrong with the engine was all the vacuum hoses were messed up. A quick fix and man that thing was strong. Sitting so low to the ground, stomping hard on that thing was like driving a rocket powered sleeping bag! It had screw in rocker studs, push rod guide plates, and I loved the fact the intake manifold could be pulled without disturbing the distributor. In my opinion it was a much better version of the Chevy small block with numerous improvements.

Unfortunately after I did the bodywork and slapped a paint job on, it was worth far more as a car than just an engine/transmission so I ended up selling it outright. But I never got over the fondness I had for that engine design.

I thought about installing a Pontiac engine in the GMC back in 1992, but recently divorced, I just couldn’t afford to be different. Regardless, I still think it would be very impressive to pop the hood and see a Pontiac sitting in there. If the resources ever fall in my lap it could still happen!

Wow I almost forgot the 76 Formula I owned. It also had a 389 but had an automatic transmission which soured me on the car. By the time I got done with it, swapping in a 4 speed would have just cost money with no return, so it also when down the road. I haven't scanned the album yet with those photos, so maybe I'll add them later.

Last edited by markeb01; 04-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote