View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Rich909

Re: stock throttle cable on a '64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljackson View Post
Did the factory install throttle cables in some trucks. I mean a cable mounted in the dash that goes to the carb to help with cold weather starting. I've been searching here without finding anything. I have a choke cable in my truck. No hole in the dash for the throttle.
I realize this is kind of an old thread but a hand throttle is often a useful accessory. I don't believe it was a factory option, but it surely could have been available as a dealer added item.

I added a hand throttle to my 65 Chev C-10, which has a 292 6-Cyl by using the hole for the cigarette lighter. Hook up for V-8's will be different, but a similar technique may work for them as well.

I used the 60-63 throttle cable, available from Classic Industries (and others) that you were considering. The only other hardware required was 2 3/8" flat washers that I picked up at Home Depot. With the assembly mounted in the dash I fed the cable through the existing grommeted hole in the firewall to the engine bay, which is almost a perfectly straight run to the throttle linkage. The best part is that the hand-throttle is all quickly removable and no permanent modifications were made. I have included some photos to show the details.

The second photo in the engine compartment shows the throttle cable, which clears the bottom of the stock 'dry element' air cleaner by 1/2" or more. I normally only use the small chrome air cleaner when working on the engine, since the stock one makes it hard see stuff and to make adjustments. I pulled the knob and wire out of the cable housing and cut 40" from the cable end. That left the cable housing long enough so that 7.5" of the housing extended through the firewall. The wire attached to the bell-crank on the throttle linkage at the return spring attachment.

In operation, when you pull the throttle knob you can feel the gas pedal being depressed as well. Rotating the knob to the left locks it in the current position. Rotating it to the right releases it. Pressing on the gas pedal overrides the hand throttle, and engine speed returns to the throttle setting when the pedal is released. It works well for warm-ups when you need more idle speed without having to use as much choke.

--Rich
Attached Images

Rich909 is offline   Reply With Quote