Thread: Maiden Voyage
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: Maiden Voyage

Thank you all for the compliments, it put a smile on Roxanne's face!
She did mention that driving it takes some "getting use to" She has never had a vehicle that turns heads, gets thumbs up or has to repeatedly say "its not for sale", Maybe I'll convert her into a "Car girl" yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMACDONALD1 View Post
Looks real Nice! great color choice. now that you have a smoothed top would you do that again or would you texture the next one? The only reason I ask is because I have my top pulled off fopr the summer and thought it would be a great time to either smooth it or just refinish the way it was. The only thing I dont like about these tops is the dished in roof and not sure if I could live with it smoothed out. The 4x4 blazers kind of hide that flaw but the two wheel drive lowered blazers are right at eye level. Your imput would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure you thought of the same things when doing yours. Again the blazer looks really good!
I would definately do it again!! I really like the look of a smooth top, If you decide to take on the project, remember it is not "traditional fiberglass" and uses different materials for repairs. (its SMC) And be prepaired for alot of work.
I think I discovered why GM textured them, the material is very porous! and the molding was very crude.
It took almost 50 hours of work to make it presentable, I pondered for quite some time about what to do with the sag, I discovered that the "ribs" that go side to side inside of a single wall top are actually wood 1"X 2"s molded in. So in order to fix it correctly one would have to litterly saw the top open, carefully cut out the wood "rib", bend up a new aluminum or steel rib to the contour of the top, build a fixture to push up and support the sag, insert the new rib and fill the void with epoxy, then use SMC resin and mat to make the surface repairs, So I decided to "live with" the sag.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote