View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #131
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 69 C10 swb stepside project 45 ACP

Did a whole lot of digging through my parts stash and getting my priorities straight over the winter and during the lousy weather spring we had.

I am tired of my Malibu, I don't need it, my wife hates it and it really doesn't have much market value in good shape. It will barely bring $3000 in great shape so the nice under 2000 mile freshly rebuilt 4-bolt 400 engine from it is going into the stepside.

I ordered some cheap chambered mufflers to go onto the Malibu so the ceramic coated headers and 50-series delta flow Flowmaster mufflers from it can go onto the stepside too.

With the 400 engine the stepside can now have power brakes and power steering plus it will be getting some other street truck creature comforts to make it less like a tractor and more like a modern vehicle. After I get some of the other projects done it will get a 4L60 to replace the long tailshaft T-350 and the 400 will get one of the direct port fuel injection systems I have on the shelf. Not sure if I will go with the TPI intake or with a rear distributor converted LT1 intake but both systems will be run by the same 91 Z/28 ECM.

The 67 C10 is in need of too much body work and rust repair for anyone to want it around here and I really don't need three trucks so I am not going to put any more time or money into it. It is getting cannibalized for roof parts to fix the stepside cab, to donate the trailing arm suspension for the stepside to use down the road and to put a cheap drivetrain into the Malibu so it can go away with no regrets or loss of investment. The only good part of the fenders are the cup areas so they are getting cut up to use to fix the only bad areas on the fenders of the 69 K10. I might make a trailer out of the beat up bed to save the wear & tear on my other trucks when some real work has to be done too.

The 396 in the stepside now is going back into the Camaro where it belongs (until I get the funds together to finish building the new 496 short block for it). I order most of the parts I need to get the Camaro back on the road again. It got used as a cash machine when I got laid off ten years ago and I have been putting it back together ever since on a much smaller budget. This time around I am making it into a street / strip car instead of a pure drag car like it was before. The roll cage is gone and will not come back. I will limit the power to keep it in the 11.50 to 11.99 ET range so it will not need to have a roll bar by NHRA standards. It won't go to the track very often and will spend most of its time on the street so I can deal with the safety issue. My wife couldn't get in the car before because of her bad back and the back seat was unusable with the roll cage tubing in the way so it had to go. This way my whole family can go for a ride with me and enjoy it at the same time. I have mufflers and tail pipes on it now too. No more open headers. My neighbors will be much happier on Saturday mornings now I am building a big X-pipe with capped side exits that will bypass the mufflers if I want to uncork it at the track. The poor thing has been in primer since 1987 too so it is going to get painted
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote