View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #83
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: The Wagon and Pedal Car thread.

Not done yet, but I couldn't wait to share.

This is the bed for my "wagon". It's just roughed in at this point. I made it about 1/2 scale of a real shortbed, except narrower. The sides and rear panels are made with 3 layers of plywood. I just got the tailgate part roughed in tonight. Cutting that slot across it was the most challenging part of the build so far. The last parts to fab up are the wheel tubs. I haven't decided yet if I will shape them like the real ones or just make some round ones. I will blend in the contours and body lines with body filler, epoxy primer it all to seal it, then do the body work like a real truck. I plan on painting it to match my truck. The floor will be stained plywood with bed strips added (once I find a couple to cut up). If I find better wheels with slightly smaller tires later I will probably swap them. For now I think I will paint them with some chrome like paint I have and maybe try to add white lettering to the tires. I'm thinking about using a caster wheel under the front near where the handle will go. My wife has a craft paper cutter and I'll have her make me some lettering for the tailgate.

Trailing arm...

Attachment to the bracket I made...

Crossmember for my spring support and to add some rigidity to the frame...

Axle attachment to the trailing arm, with spring installed...

Chassis...
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote