View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
quadzero

Re: '87 GMC Blue Rhino Project

After a week of straight rain, I finally squeezed in some time to finish the brake lines and install the new parts for the steering linkage. Finally its sitting on tires again.

But I still have to change the exhaust and re-connect my front driveshaft. I took it off completely so I could examine it better and install the front u-joint. I noticed right away the center u-joint is finished and falling apart. I got my parts truck driveshaft and thinking it's the exact same piece I found it a bit shorter on full extension.

I thought maybe it was was just seized or packed full of mud or rust but when I took the yoke off, the lower shaft, (my 87 gmc) have the splines further down the shaft then the top one, (83 chev 3/4 ton). The two shafts are the exact same length with the yokes off but the lower one gives me 1/2 inch extra travel and both bottom out at the same distance. I'm thinking I will go with the bottom shaft althou the top one gives me more spline contact through-out its sliding travel. Might have to think about this. So, now instead of installing the driveshaft, gotta wait till tomorrow to get the u-joints. I'm thinking with it removed I may as well change them all and have that extra reliability. Cheers everyone.
quadzero is offline   Reply With Quote