Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #21
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

There are a lot of concepts out there about handling. Here is one thing i see a lot at Auto-x and track events. The problem is that the car (truck) is loose through the corner. The solution is to disconnect the rear sway bar. ?what? I see this all the time. OK, I get it the first time, but this is backwards. If you need more rear bite, lower the roll center (panhard mounting points) and/or softer rear springs. Now I'll ne honest, I n
know just enough to get into real trouble. When it comes to other suspension concepts, I try to understand why, and then look at the outcome. Porsche does very well with a 'stiff spring' layout, as do most exotics. - but their CG is VERY low. Mercedes and BMW have great handling and smooth riding cars with the 'soft spring' approach. -higher CG. There is no "one size fits all" answer. Trucks and Hot Rods (my arena) all suffer from a high CG. Using a soft spring and big bar set up makes sense to me. The weight will force the truck to lean over, so let it compress the outside corners of the suspension with soft springs, then use a large swaybar to transfer the suspension load to the inside corners.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote