View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #369
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Okay so I got impatient. Once the gasket was relaxed and installed without any strain, it seemed like it would be very simple to install the trim. I started with the two top pieces, peeled back the inner flap and just popped it in. On these pieces I started at the center and worked outward. The lower pieces needed to start in the corners, so I placed a length of 2x4 lengthwise near the center and leaned the glass forward enough for the lower inner side flaps to have free movement. They also popped right in without any lubricant. The only difficulty was the left end (the passenger side of the windshield) because I was working alone and couldn’t turn the glass around for better access. I left the end caps off per the factory instructions. Inserting all the trim took less than half an hour.

So there it sits ready to go. Next step is cleaning up the windshield cavity on the cab. I also need to reinstall the wipers temporarily so I can mark the center of the body on the cowl vent to make for easy alignment of the windshield. After that we’ll turn the windshield again so I can insert the rope in the seal. The installation won’t happen until my wife’s next day off so we can allow as much time as it takes. I’m starting to get enthusiastic at this point.