Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #1435
BMERDOC

Re: Make it handle

Rob! I'm back and almost ready to start on making more suspension improvements. I know I'll have to go back and read up on anti-squat, anti-dive, roll center and so on but I wanted to ask a question.
Your thread has covered bump steer. You mentioned heating the steering arms and bending them back down to correct bump steer. I have obtained a new set of lower cross shafts and intend to have them drilled at 90 degree intervals to obtain 1/4 inch increments for alignment machine testing (stock, 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4") I want to take my upper cross shafts to a local machine shop to have the holes milled so as to elongate the holes as much as THEY feel comfortable with doing (you mentioned 7/8").
I also have a set of spindles going to the scrap pile that I wanna steal the steering arms off of. I want to prep by attaching a string from the t/r end at the steering arm to the t/r end on the other side and measure from that string to the frame to eliminate tire size. Do you have any info regarding where the arm should be for "correct" bumpsteer?What is your advice on heating the arms? More along the lines of cooling...Do you like to quench or cool naturally?

***EDIT*** This coulda read a lot better than I typed it out but I think you get the idea. To simplify, Is the "stock" steering arm position a good base line to keep for experimental purposes or is there a better starting point? How do you prefer to treat heated suspension components?
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!

Last edited by BMERDOC; 10-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote